Debates rage on about whether you should use shutters or blinds to decorate your windows. There are many benefits for either pick, and many factors to consider. If you choose shutters, should you pick plantation shutters or solid poly? If you choose blinds, should they be vertical or horizontal?
Both styles provide easy use and functionality, so here are some other things to consider when you make the tough decision about which is best for your windows:
- Plantation shutters are installed on the interior of your windows, which allows them to easily block UV rays that can damage fabrics and wood finishes.
- Shutters have no cords that can easily tangle.
- All the louvers in a shutter are adjusted at the same time, so you never have an uneven look.
- Shutters generally last a longer time than blinds because shutters are made of sturdier materials.
- Shutters offer increased security because they are installed inside the window, and locked from the inside.
- Blinds have a more versatile set of uses. They can easy be mounted atop windows and block sunlight, however they can also cover doorways, patios, and more.
- If you love the look of shutters, but don’t want such a permanent fixture, a poly wood blind set will give you the same feel without the commitment.
- For some, the most important element is price. There’s no two ways around it, blinds are much more affordable. Shutters, however, will increase the value of your home.
It’s a difficult choice, and the only surefire way to decide is by going down to your local retailer and looking at the products yourself. Then you can decide on which best fits your décor.
Here at Bay Area Vinyl Shutters, we offer both plantation shutters and both horizontal and vertical blinds. All of our products have a multitude of patterns and variations of valances.